ABOUT FIRAT UNIVERSITY
“Fırat University, which has a deep-rooted history, started its educational services in Elazığ, a city with cultural richness. Then, it has become a higher education institution that contributes significantly to the progress of higher education in the Eastern and Southeastern Anatolia Region by establishing higher education institutions and training personnels with its postgraduate activities particularly in Elazığ’s towns and in Bingöl, Muş, Tunceli and in Kemaliye – a town of Erzincan-.
Initially, a High Technical School was opened in Elazığ in 1967, and in the same year, the decision of Ankara University that sets forth being established of the Faculty of Veterinary Science in Elazığ was approved by the Ministry of National Education.
The High Technical School was transformed into the Elazığ State Engineering and Architectural Academy (ESEAA) with the law no. 1184 in 1969, and the Faculty of Veterinary Science started education in 1970 being dependent on Ankara University.
The higher education institutions in Elazığ were gathered under a single roof with the name of “Fırat University” on April 11th, 1975 and got into action within the frame of structure consisting the Faculty of Veterinary Science and the College of Science and the Faculty of Letters. At Fırat University reorganized with the Law of Higher Education no. 2547 and Statutory Decree no 41, the College of Science and the Faculty of Letters were combined and named as the Faculty of Science and Letters. The Elazığ State Engineering and Architectural Academy (ESEAA) were incorporated to the university by being turned into The Faculty of Engineering…
Fırat University has been maintaining its education and training activities with its 13 faculties, 3 vocational schools of higher education, a state conservatory and 4 institutes.”
Visit the University Website